Monday, August 3, 2015

# Drama

Time to stop foreign dramas from flooding into Sri Lankan shores?


Well I am back! I really don’t like the way foreign dramas are flooding in to Sri Lanka and taking our drama places. I just hope Sri Lanka will continue to stop foreign drama from entering Sri Lankan markets. There should be a limit to how much is shown to us. I mean some of these dramas have such foreign culture which is very alien to us e.g. Swapna and its weird Husband and Wife relationship.

I know you might think this post is ironic as my blog and my Google plus page are full of KDramas. However I too have a limit, I only watch most dramas online while also giving time for Sri Lankan dramas. No matter how nice foreign dramas are if we continue to watch them then our Sri Lankan drama industry will fall apart. I don’t want what happened to the Sri Lankan film industry to happen to Sri Lankan drama industry.

If Sri Lankan audiences reject Sri Lankan dramas then foreign dramas will take over our drama industry. Through this our identity and our culture will be forgotten. Our future generations will forget what a great culture we have and start to admire a foreign one. I am not saying watching foreign dramas are bad but everything has a limit. If foreign dramas continue to flood onto Sri Lankan shores then we will watch them readily without even looking at their value.


Personally I think as a Sri Lankan audience we should learn to appreciate our dramas, this will cause our dramas to reach the level of foreign dramas. If we do not support our dramas in anyway how can we expect them to show any progress? Foreign dramas will just deteriorate our drama industry. However a few channels have taken this fact into their minds; this is why Rupavahini only show a few chosen KDramas. The dramas shown on Rupavahini are edited and done to show us so that it fits our culture and our audience. Moreover these dramas are shown at 6.30 pm which is not a prime time slot so not causing any harm to Sri Lankan drama industry.

So don’t think I am being old fashion or conservative or even trying to ruin your enjoyment; I am just trying to show a point which we sometimes forget. I personally believe that continuous flow of foreign dramas will cause an adverse effect on our culture, our drama industry and our lives. Imagine if we just see Korean or Indian actors and actresses everyday, it will just be so mundane and boring. Sri Lankan dramas no matter how bad, sometimes adds a bit of vibrance to our lives. I mean without Sujatha or Wassane Premaya I would find life a bit boring.
Daskon on Swaranawahini


Yi San as Yahapath Maharaja

Dae Jang Guem as Sujatha Diyani

Dong Yi as Abeetha Diyani

If foreign dramas continue to be shown without proper selection we might never have a chance to see some first class Sri Lankan dramas from talented directors and good acting from our actors and actresses. As an audience it is our responsibility to increase our drama viewer ratings so encouraging our drama directors. Our directors also need to produce dramas to meet our needs and also stay competitive against foreign dramas. So next time remember this and watch dramas this may help the Sri Lankan drama industry more than you ever think.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger