Saturday, June 9, 2018

# Dewani Inima # Tv Derana

Deweni Inima Overall Review 2018



Hi guysJ.  How are you guys doing? I am kinda fine but I seriously think I screwed up my finals but let’s just leave that stuff alone, shall we? As you guys already know I wasn’t able to post much this year, this mainly due to my laptop breaking down and most of my finished articles were destroyed with it. I wasn’t quite able to recover anything at all from that laptop and here we are starting all over again. During my time off a lot has happened in Deweni Inima and we will just look at the main events and look into it. There is going to be a lot of fan girl “rubbish” as this post progresses so please excuse me:P. So let’s get started shall we????




The most awesome, amazing and magnificent thing that happened during my “break or my breakdown(as I would like to call it)” was DEWANTHA and omg am I not hyped. It is after quite some time that Sri Lankan screens are seeing some real “romance” apart from the “let us hold our hands” or the “there is a lot of sexual tension in this room” scenes commonly found in many Indian and Sri Lankan dramas. At the beginning of their love story there were loads of gaps within the character development aspect of Dewmi and Avantha. This was basically because I feel that the writers at this point seemed to have focused mainly on “marketing” Anuhus and his love story with Samalka and those “ohhh so not funny” scenes involving Mike and Raneh. So when it comes to the character development of Dewmi and Avantha what we basically got were the very “good” Dewmi and the very “bad” Avantha. There was no middle ground and half the time I felt Avantha was just a playboy after some sex rather than real love.






This of course was proved wrong as the drama moved forward and the writers started to give more emphasis to Dewmi and Avantha. What I love about these two characters is the fact that they are both equally flawed, neither of them the “epitome’ of “good” or “bad” unlike either Anuhus or Samalka. It is because of this that I started to love this couple. Looking at Dewmi prima facie we can say that she is sweet, kind, from a good family, good daughter and most probably a well behaving girl. However, when you get to know her the writers show us hidden depths within her character. We get to know that she is passionate and that just like every other girl out there she has a very romantic at heart and just like so many of us out there she fell in love with the “bad boy” (not to mention the hottest guy on Sri Lankan telly right now!). Throughout the time we watched the drama I feel that we have gotten to know many sides of Dewmi as oppose to Samalka. We have seen Dewmi as a mother figure, a sister and of course the most playful honey bunny on planet Earth.








This is something I have not seen in Samalka’s character as most of the time she is crying in front of people to get sympathy and attention. The writers in this way has screwed up her character so much that there seems to be no return. I personally feel Samalka’s character no matter what has to leave the drama. As far as I am concerned this may happen in the most tear jerking way possible such as through a cancer or maybe they can make her go mad with jealousy causing her to be psychotic or we can have her commit suicide and then show the lasting impact she had on the lives of others (suicide is a big issue in Sri Lanka right now after all) .However I do have to mention that I do see a psychotic side in Samalka when she talks to Anuhus with regards to Lihini. I know some of you could feel otherwise but I feel the way she brought up the notes, wallithalapa and the bike ride are downright creepy as going out with her does not mean Anuhus cannot get to have other girls as friends, right? Plus she is not even Anuhus’s girl friend to that matter as they are not officially dating like Dewmi and Avantha. 








  In addition to this I feel she is just not the right type of girl for Anuhus. Anuhus is a guy who is carrying the weight of the whole world on his shoulders. He has his mother’s problems, he has his own “dad issues” and recently he has the “my little brother is screwing up his life” issues. All these issues means that Anuhus has so much responsibility on his shoulders so I feel that the girl he gets need to be someone who can carry that weight with him not someone who has her own luggage and emotional issues which would further add to Anuhus’s burden.






If you look closely you will see that when Anuhus needs Samalka the most she was not there for him. When he had “dad issues” and didn’t talk to her for some time she was not worried about what the hell has happened to him (like Lihini did) but rather as to why he didn’t come to check on her mom with her. Even in the situations she was there for him, the most she has done is to cry on him and ask him what would happen to her is he were to fall emotionally. To tell the truth her “whining” is getting on my nerves and her lack of character development is becoming quite obvious. Thus, the easiest option here is to get rid of her as it is quite late to make drastic character developments to her right now (unless her mom gets well). 




All in all I feel Lihini is a better option here as she seems the strong type who is a bit shy which goes well with Anuhus’s playfulness and “big brother” features. She is also someone who deeply cares about others and this is clearly seen by the concerned looks she gives to both Samalka and Dewmi and this could help Anuhus a lot as he is in need of someone who listens to his problems and not someone who adds to them. The fact that Anuhus spoke with Dewmi (in a fit of rage) about his dad issues shows that Samalka is not offering much help on that agenda. As a matter of fact how many times have we seen Samalka actually talking about Anuhus’s issues rather than her own? I believe none as I haven’t seen it at all.






Just like his big bro Avantha on the other hand is having similar issues but unlike Anuhus he has a supportive girl next to him whom he calls his “life”. Dewmi unlike Samalka is someone who would keep her problems aside in order to help people she loves. She used to do it for Anuhus but now she is doing it for Avantha. In fact Avantha changed in the most drastic ways simply because of Dewmi and her selfless efforts. In this sense she is one of the fully developed characters in this drama. However I have to say it is actually Avantha who is really the most changed character right now. His change after Ravi’s death is so drastic that I myself cannot believe it is the same Avantha at the beginning of the drama who is now Dewmi’s boyfriend.





 Looking at it this way, Keshan is just an amazing actor and he does justice to Avantha’s character. I have personally felt like I went through everything Avantha went through just by Keshan’s acting. He is able to be so expressive that there is no need for words when he is acting to get the point across.   Let’s just say that he is just making me swoon every time he comes on screen. His character no matter what has an alpha male, dark yet troubled, loving yet angry, caring yet hates to show it, feature to it which many women in the past has fallen for and as did my predecessors I too have fallen into that same trap. He is basically every woman’s fantasy man and like every other woman I feel he is irresistible: P. The way he hates people interfering in his life but yet really wants someone to look after him to ask him where he is and what he is doing is so endearing that every time he is on screen I have a wide stupid smile on my face….ahhh I believe I am in love.. he is such a cute bag of sweetsJ….Okay let’s just move past that fan girl rubbish (let’s just pretend it never happened) and move on to what I believe this drama holds for the future.




I personally feel that this drama is in a great place right now. Ananda is finding out or hoping to find out about Anuhus’s inheritance, Lihini is falling hard for Anuhus and Dewmi…well she is having the time of her life. I feel the next thing we need is for the brothers to get together at school and maybe have some real bad tension happening between them which causes Dewmi to talk to Avantha and have him accept the fact that Anuhus cares for him. Then we can have them fighting together for their inheritance (kicking Menaka’s ass) and have some real nice cricket matches in between. Have to say that I do miss the cricket talk in the drama as there have been no matches after Avantha left school. I feel that if we do have a match in which the brothers have to work together forgetting all their rivalry then a nice brotherhood can come up…after all cricket in the game of love and unityJ. I also like to see these guys finishing off school and moving on to campus and work and to see how they face their fears and to see whether their love for each other would be strong enough to survive the strains of adulthood.





Overall I feel that this drama has great potential and it is living up to the hype but there are serious plot holes when it comes to character development and issues such as that of Samalka and Mike which needs to be addressed ASAP.
Well then, thanks for reading over 1700 words on Deweni Inima…we part here hoping to meet again in another exciting review on Drama Queen..Don’t forget to be tuned in guys <3 J.



****I do not own any of the above images used they were taken from the world wide web.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger