Monday, July 10, 2017

# Naagin # New Posts

Naagin Season 2/Prema Dadayama Season 2 overall Review



Howdy guysJ I am back with a bit of frustration: P. Lol. So let’s get this straight...I ain’t an Indian drama fan in fact I ain’t a fan of anything to do with Indian dramas. I totally believe their dramas are way too draggy and have way too much “drama” (lol...no pun intendedJ ). However I do have to admit that they are good if you totally don’t have anything else to watch and I still haven’t reached that stage in life yet. I know I sound pretty harsh but then the truth is harsh right? Anyways many Sri Lankans (mostly jobless housewives) are head over heels in love with Indian soap operas but in recent years it has become quite clear, that most prefer Sri Lankan dramas over these soap operas. The pinnacle of Indian soap opera culture in Sri Lanka started off with Maha Gedara and Praveen and hit its climax with YHM or Me Adarayai. However as many of you see this trend is actually dying.  More and more people are drawn to Sri Lankan dramas such as Sidu, Dewani Inima and Hara Kotiya etc which are 100% more realistic and entertaining than any Indian drama. However Naagin Season 1 or Prema Dadayama, as many of you know it was quite a different story.




It was the first time in quite some time that Sri Lankans were able to see some “revenge” drama unfolding in front of their screens. If I remember right the last time that a revenge drama went on air was when Hiru TV showed EK Hasina Thi the Indian version of the English series Revenge. I have to admit that I quite liked Ek Hasina Thi better than RevengeJ.  We all did love Naagin 1. It was a pretty good drama and more than the plot line I loved the chemistry between Shivanya and Rithik. Actually I bothered to actually watch Naagin simply because I have a big crush on Arjun Bijlani (Rithik- he is so cuteJ ). Anyways, with the huge commercial success of Naagin, Sirasa TV went on to bring Naagin season 2 which followed the story of Shivangi (Shivanya’s daughter) and her revenge story. So this is going to be the review of the latter drama.

Season 1 couple



First of all, Rithik is killed off in the first few episodes of Season 2 and I pretty much lost interest in the drama (just kiddingJ ). Shivanya is left in the world full of cruel people with her one and only daughter Shivangi. It turns out Shivangi is not a Naagin but then the story develops further and Shivanya is killed by Yamini (who is brought back to life btw – typical Indian drama) and her minions. Shivangi gets her Naagin powers to take revenge from everyone who killed her mother. On the way she meets ultra cute Rudra who is a male shape shifting Naag. I have to admit I rooted more for Rudra and Shivangi to be together rather than Shivangi and Rocky. By the way, Rocky is the lover for Shivangi in Season 2. So what do I think of all this?


Rithik


Firstly, I totally do not see any chemistry between Shivangi and Rocky. Both of them just don’t match the way Rithik and Shivanya did. I loved the chemistry between Rithik and Shivanya and the truth is that their love made you crave for “that kinda love”. 



They were so “real” in front of us and it made us forget that their love was just a drama. Actually one could even say that it is their chemistry which made Prema Dadayama a hit in Sri Lanka. However when it comes to Season 2 I really did not like the main lead. He is a nice guy but he just didn’t fill the role of a lover. Not only did he not look the part, even his character did not match the part. Half the time in the drama his whole purpose was to suspect that Shivangi and Rudra were in love. In reality Rudra and Shivangi had better chemistry that Shivangi and Rocky. 

Rudra  more like rithik - so cute :) 


After all Rudra was so steaming hot while Rocky did not seem as fun as Rithik. I personally feel Ekta (the producer) did not give much of a character to Rocky so making him so fake. I kind felt that Rudra was another Rithik while Rocky just seem to not fill those shoesL.



I also felt that plot wise Naagin 2 was just a duplicate of Naagin 1. There weren’t any twist and turns except the fact that Rocky was also a Naag and the stupid ending. It just seemed like they added a few extra players to the murder of Shivanya so to make it different from season1.  To add to this Rithik and Shivanya got a boon to live together by Lord Shiva but were only able to live together for less than a year, so this drama just is so stupid in a way.



The next issue I felt was that the characters were just too gaudy. There were shown as the “elite” of Indian society and they must have spent over a million only on Shivangi’s make up! I mean that woman had so much make up on that she looked soo fake! To add to this having Yamini there bathed in gold and gaudy jewelery just didn’t help much. These things were there in the first Season too but then Rithik was so down to earth and so “real” and so was Shivanya to some extent, plus their love story felt more real. Rocky just seemed like a puppet and even with the addition of a beard he just didn’t seem to fit in. In all those high intense romantic scenes between Rocky and Shivangi I just felt there was no intensity. With Rithik and Shivanya there was so much sexual tension that when they were together you just felt those vibes hitting you hard. In contrary Season 2 the intensity just fell flat and there were no such “vibes” to talk about.

Talk about sexual tension :P 



To add to this, all things in Season 2 felt more unreal than it needed to be. The fact that Shesha could put all her Naagin powers into a pendent so to save herself from Shivangi was so unreal. I mean if that was possible in Season 1 then Shivanya could have survived many ordeals right? The whole fact was that Naagins found it hard to hide their power in Season 1 and now they give us a different story in Season 2. That is really not very consistent. Also the ending was just hilarious. It just seemed like a carbon copy of the scene in Bahubali Part 1. I mean there is no logic explanation why Rithik had to tell Rocky to kill off Shivangi. Why couldn’t she loose her power gradually? Why does she have to die in the end? Then what is the point of watching this drama in the first place? Also have you guys noticed that Rocky simply doesn’t go to work? As a matter of fact none of them go to work or outside their house, I have never heard of such a family. This is a major joke right?

The bad guys this time too :P 


Also the writers seemed to be so lost sometimes. Some of the killing off scenes seems so dumb and so not creative. Also the fact that Rocky had sex with Shivangi just to make her loose her Naagin powers was just so unfeminist (I didn't watch that episode though). I mean that seemed to go by the ancient idea that a woman who lost her virginity is just nothing in front of society. It was just revenge sex and if a husband can fall that low then you just need to leave him. I mean in Rithik’s case even after finding Shivanya was a Naagin he didn’t go and have revenge sex just so to take her power away... that’s just so degrading.  To add to this the writers really had to kill off Rudra who was clearly having strong feelings towards Shivangi and that kind of brought about an anti climax and I felt that the writers could have done something more with Rudra’s character.





All in all I give this drama a 1 out of 5 in my drama scale simply because I saw nothing new in this drama. I haven’t actually watched the Sirasa TV edition much but I actually felt that the dubbing department had done a bad job with the voices especially Rocky’s and I didn’t quite like it. I have finished Naagin Season 2 which ended on the 25th of June in India. 



Overall it was just a badly made copy of Season 1 and I recommend anyone who loved Season 1 to keep away from this season as it is just “horrible”. A season 3 is coming in November if I am not mistaken and I believe it would move on from the scene where Rithik tells Rocky to kill off Shivangi (which father wants his own child dead?). Maybe Shivangi returns to life to seek revenge from Rocky and his family for killing her or something...I mean the plot does not seem to have any potential at all. Ekta should have just ended it all in Season 1 on a high note. Season 2 just seemed like a half baked cake when compared to Season 1. I have to admit that it left a nasty after taste and I ain’t looking forward to Season 3 at all. Thanks for surviving through over 1500 words with me and I hope you come back for more reviews and don’t forget to keep tuned into Drama Queen for the latest entertainment news in Sri Lanka J J J J J. Love ya all:*



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger